Archive page.

New webpage is available here:

Visa and residence permit


The citizens of EU only need to have a valid travel document or a document confirming identity and citizenship (i.e. your national ID) to enter Poland.

If your stay exceeds 90 days you will need to register your residence in the Silesian Voivodeship OfficeAfter the registration you will be issued a cost-free certificate of registration confirming your right to stay in Poland.


The required documents for non-EU citizens are: passport and visa.
If you need to stay in Poland longer than specified in your visa you need to apply for the temporary residence permit.


In general you need a visa to enter Poland. However, there is a number of countries that are free of this requirement (for stays shorter than 90 days only). See the lsit of these countries here.

Poland is a part of the Schengen zone, so you can apply for a Polish visa and travel all around Europe (excluding the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and states outside of the EU).


  1. Find a Polish consulate that can process you application.
  2. Read carefully ALL the information concerning visa application on the consulate’s website and follow ALL the instructions.
  3. Set a visa appointment with the consulate. In most cases you will have to register through the website:
  4. Prepare the necessary documents, including: application form, travel document (passport), biometric photo, health insurance, sufficient means to support yourself, documents confirming the purpose of your stay. The specifics of the required documentation may vary among consulates, so confirm them with the consulate’s website.
  5. Submit all the documents, including a printed and signed application form and the visa fee. Your visa application is complete. It will take up to 15 days for it to be reviewed.


Temporary Residence Permit

Required for every Non-EU student. You should apply for a Temporary Residence Permit before your visa expires.

After you receive the permit you will be issued a Temporary Residence Card - an ID card that proves that you have a residence permit. Together with your passport it allows you to cross the Polish border as many times as you wish.

The first residence permit is issued for the period of 15 months. It can be renewed for periods of up to 3 years but for no longer than the remainder of your studies.


Apply for a Temporary Residence Permit with the Silesian Voivodship Office.
The documents you will need to legalise your stay include:

  • application form
  • 3 current photos
  • documents proving your identity and citizenship, address (3 copies)
  • document confirming your purpose of stay (University's acceptance letter)
  • health insurance
  • certificate of possession of sufficient funds.

For detailed information see the Silesian Voivodship Office’s website. The procedure costs 390 PLN in total.

EU students do not need to apply for temporary residence permits.


Biuletyn Informacji Publicznej
Copyright © 2001-2021
Uniwersytet Śląski w Katowicach
Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone.